3.31.2010

Beyond These Skies....Part 7....A Maze of Marble and Stone

Visiting the cemetery where my beloved Nonna and Nonno rest side by side in their stone marble mausoleum, surrounded by concrete and other towering mausoleums of the Italians immigrants which also sought out this part of Australia as their new found land. I touched my lips to my mouth, reached up and deposited a kiss on my Nonna’s photograph and then did the same to my Nonno’s framed portrait. “Ciao Nonna and Nonno”I said to them and I instantly felt the tears swelling in my eyes coming from a place that hasn’t healed in over a decade. A place I know never will. There will always be tears in me for my Nonna and Nonno. I wondered to myself how many of those people laid to rest there were on the same boat as my grandparents. It just doesn’t seem right. Their graves should have been in their homeland and I wish I could just transport them to their beloved island. Their graves deserved the magnificent backdrop of the images they carried in their hearts for over 30 years. I wish I could have gathered them up and returned them to their island, their home.

No comments:

Post a Comment