6.05.2009

The Vaujany Experience Part 8……Creatures of the Mountain


There were many times during the season when life in resort would become too much, when you would be feeling quite down, fed up or upset by something. It’s hard to explain but within the bubble we were living in, it became very hard to get any perspective on issues, which meant that even the littlest things could get to you easily. And skiing became the only release we had. It was our escape. Once on the mountain, to me, the rest of the world didn’t exist. It was my refuge, where I could allow myself to become consumed in the grandeur of the scenery and the happiness I felt while skiing. I became a creature of the mountain, wanting to spend every waking moment on the slopes.

I remember thinking to myself, day after beautiful day on the slopes that “this is the life!” Skiing everyday and living within a ski resort almost felt like a defiance that a real world actually existed. I found myself feeling guilty that I was able to have so much fun and enjoyment from such a simple thing as skiing. The guilt as I strapped on my boots each day and made my way down the escalator to the cable car about to begin yet another day of wonderful skiing always got to me. At the back of my mind I would think about all the people all over the world working 9-5 office jobs, staring at a computer screen all day while I was spending my days on the slopes skiing with friends and having an absolute ball, resisting the clutches of the real world. What a life!.....

No comments:

Post a Comment