4.18.2010

London Calling

London has never been on my wish list as a destination of desire and certainly never a place I thought I would ever call home. The bustling city felt harsh and cold whenever I visited it. I once, not too long ago related it to like being in an Ant farm. And now I am deciding to become one of those ants!! I am about to become another face, another image in the collage of millions of other faces and images that make up London.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would become another token Aussie in London. Another ‘flamin gala’ to be found in one of those Australiana pubs of Sheperds Bush! But I am! And I can’t quite help but wonder how London will change me. Will it embrace me and allow me to see and feel its inner essence or will it leave me wanting to run screaming from its cold harsh depths? Will it give me a sense of belonging, a community atmosphere or just eat me up and spit me out just as it does to many of its dwellers trying to make it in the big smoke. Personally, I think I may find the answer in the knowledge that for all that is cold, harsh or brilliant about London it will change me for the good, better and worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment