4.01.2010

Beyond These Skies....Part 9....Piecing together parts of the jigsaw

As a rule I have never let fear rule my life. I am not generally afraid and I perceive myself to be a strong capable woman. I have always believed that a coward dies over and over each day, yet a brave person only dies once. I have my Sicilian heritage to thank for teaching me that courage runs freely through my veins. So is it any wonder that with the inspiration I had drawn from my Nonno Antonio that I found myself immersed in the chaotic brilliance of life in the country of my forbearers.

Living in the heart of Italia, the word which sings to me every time I hear it, I discovered Italy’s stark beauty, witnessed its day to day life, unfathomable bureaucracies and mad drivers. I was able to revel in and embrace its culture and richness of history. Able to marvel and wonder at the Italians who enjoy life so fully. Their simple lives blending beautifully in with the simplicity of the landscape around them. I can now begin to fully understand and piece together my heritage with my very own eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment